Friday, June 13, 2008

We continue our feature interview by Publisher Ian Randle with author Fred Kennedy on his forthcoming work Daddy Sharpe: A Narrative of the Life and Adventures of Samuel Sharpe, A West Indian Slave, Written by Himself



IR: You are not known as either a historian or a fiction writer. Who is Fred Kennedy and how did your background, training and experiences prepare or qualify you to undertake this ambitious work?

FK: You are correct, I’m none of those things although my confidence has been bolstered by the backing I received from the professional historians; advice from friends and colleagues and first class editing. The consciousness and sensitivity that led me to undertake this work were first awakened when I took my first degree in History and English at the UWI Mona campus and came under the influence of persons like Eddie Baugh, Kamau Brathwaite, Elsa Goveia, Ken Ramchand and others. Then, as a teacher I had a stint at Trench Town Comprehensive High School where I faced the challenge of getting underprivileged children from the inner city to achieve.Later after taking my Masters and Doctorate degrees in Education at the University of Toronto I returned to Jamaica as Principal of St. George’s College (2004-2006) where I achieved with teachers, parents and students, more than modest success in moving a school in crisis to be one of the top national achievers in terms of CXC results in English and Mathematics. So writing this book has been a process and I feel satisfied with the end result.

IR: As a first time author what has the experience been like working with a publisher? Is there any advice you would give other would-be authors seeking to have their works published?

FK: The most difficult part of the process for me was signing the contract because it gave me the feeling that I was surrendering something that was mine to another party.But as I developed a relationship of trust with the publisher I became less and less fearful especially as it became clear that they too held respect for the work and clearly wanted to preserve its integrity.To other writers I would say:
· Work with the publisher from as early a stage as possible
· Get personally involved in all efforts to enhance the quality and appeal of the work
· Seek the advice and endorsement of other writers especially those with established reputations · Be sensitive and responsive to criticism of your work from critics and professional editors

IR: Now that DADDY SHARPE is behind you is there anything else in the pipeline? Where do you go from here?

FK: I have a notion to do a book that focuses on the early Spanish colonial period in Jamaica and their relationship with the indigeneous Taino people. The story would be about one of the Caciques and how he led the resistance to the Spanish.The approach would be similar to DADDY SHARPE.I have already begun extensive research as part of this project.

IR: If readers (especially researchers and students) wanted to contact you for information, advice or simply to discuss aspects of the book, how might they reach you?

FK: I now live between Canada and Jamaica but can easily be reached by e-mail. I have created a special e-mail address to facilitate this. It is daddysharpe2008@yahoo.ca.
I also have plans to create a special web site but that is to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a nice blog. I hope you will create another post like this.

Anonymous said...

Baw ah, kasagad sa imo maghimo blog. Nalingaw gd ko basa.

Anonymous said...

And also we ensure that when we enter in this specific blog site we see to it that the topic was cool to discuss and not a boring one.

Anonymous said...

This is a nice blog. I like it!